I finally quit pinside

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
noncommittaldave

I finally quit pinside

Post by noncommittaldave »

Deactivated my account and requested that they retire me. There is absolutely nothing there that i can't get here and the useful content is approaching 0. I guess what i'm saying is traffic will be up here... :lol:

Thank you to all the people here that aren't douche bags. :lol:
DeaconBlooze

Re: I finally quit pinside

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Where are you going to get your legal advice?

It is definitely a different place than when I started. I still find some stuff interesting. The speculation threads are even interesting to me, I just skim posts and look for the people to post that are clearly in "the know" (MNpinball seems to have a great track record of "predicting" future titles). I've also been draining topics and blocking certain users lately.

There seems to be a lot of people that desperately need to voice their opinions over there. There aren't a lot of open-minded people that might be persuaded by a well-articulated point, instead they just yell their own opinions over and over again. It makes for a lot of noise, rather than good discussion.

It's still better than most other forums I've been a part of. I was on a billiard forum that was really hard to read.. there are a lot of members that really have it out for eachother, and politics are not off limits. Some people on there are the wackiest caricatures of their political affiliation you could possible imagine.. it gets really messy.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I deactivated my account, and then realized there were a bunch of people I offered parts to, and they had no way of getting in touch with me. I only go on Pinside to offer technical help, because throughout the years, I would have gotten out if it werent from help from RGP members (way back), and the only way to keep pinball going is to be able to fix stuff when it breaks.

I think there are a few of us "old timers" that still feel somewhat indebted to helping newer collectors fix their stuff, since we were offered the same many years ago.

I honestly have no idea what a lot of people do for working careers, but the sheer volume of posts from many users makes me think they work for companies that don't have enough for them to do..... LOL
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

I am on the fence with Pinside. I like the technical resources and that it is usually the first place that pinball news gets posted, though the news is usually second hand lately since a lot of the industry folks have left. I also like the discussion about the various shows.

My main issue is the amount of trolling and negativity in a lot of the posts. I remember posting after MGC last year about how excited I was to have made a decision about the first machine I was going to buy and the first response was someone telling me how I just made a terrible decision, and this was in the machine's official thread. It looks like the mods are trying to deal with the problem with the trolls and negativity, but it is still largely present.

Maybe I just am not thick skinned enough to handle Pinside, but I do not like dealing with the negativity. I like it here where things are a lot more positive. We just need to get Ben and Charlie to post more here. :D
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
pinball4ever

Post by pinball4ever »

DeaconBlooze wrote:Where are you going to get your legal advice?
This made me lol as I think everyone on Pinside thinks they're a lawyer (although I know there are quite a few of them that are actually lawyers).

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad lately. Some people have been collecting for 20+ years, yet someone who's never owned a game and has been on Pinside for 10 minutes knows more than they do (and will argue their point to death). Plus, there seems to be a consensus that there's only one way to do something. You're not using my brand of auto clear on your playfield? Well, you just wrecked that game for yourself and all future generations! :D

I posted that I liked the cabinet art on a new game and got thumbs down from like 10 people - now that's hilarious! :lol:

I agree, it's nice to try and help others when you were helped all those years ago. It's been hard to do lately as I try to post a solution to something and by the time I hit enter there's half a page of people making jokes or offering advice that's just not good.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

Yeah, there is a lot bad advice on there. I used to think that you should never use the balls included with a NIB machine and should only use aftermarket ones. I mentioned this to a couple local collectors and they looked at me like they were wondering what I was smoking.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Pinside is a dumping ground - proceed with caution. Noah - you bring up a good example. One or two people get some obviously defective balls in a NIB Stern game and all of a sudden the whole "Stern balls are junk" mantra is born. They're standard balls that every supplier sells. Sure, put in nicer ones if you want and definitely replace them over time as they get dinged up, but to just toss them because someone on Pinside told you to is just goofy.

There's a lot of good info on there, and I try to contribute in threads when possible to help people out. But there are a lot of people that just like to hear themselves talk an stir things up. The whole "my opinion is truth" attitude irritates me as well, but I find that if I just ignore a few people my experience is much better. :)
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Methos

Post by Methos »

I suspended my account a few weeks ago just to take some time off. It can get really troublesome to navigate, but the hard truth is we know what threads will have all the freakish activity and which threads are real resource based. But like a car wreck, we can't not look.

With some members now gone, it should pick up a bit. I do like the fact that it is heavily moderated against politics and religion (for the most part), so that takes much hostility out.

I'm just amazed at the volume of posts some people make.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

NoahK wrote:Yeah, there is a lot bad advice on there. I used to think that you should never use the balls included with a NIB machine and should only use aftermarket ones. I mentioned this to a couple local collectors and they looked at me like they were wondering what I was smoking.
I actually prefer to do this. The balls that come with (or at least came with) NIB sterns are visibly worse than PBL's premium balls. I think someone (thekorn?) did some basic science to support that.

Balls are relatively cheap, so I don't mind swapping them out pretty regularly.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Ken

Post by Ken »

Methos wrote:I'm just amazed at the volume of posts some people make.

Can you imagine having over 15K posts on there? :shock:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I def find that many like to spew their negative comments just to see something in writing. I think a lot of them think they are being funny or sarcastic but it often doesn't come off that way.

Its unfortunate that often when I post something over there concerning a tech issue its like crickets.

Tim, Maybe its time to starts some sub groups in the repair section. That way there can be a repair thread & a teardown pic thread.

I can see the repair thread being very useful. Since I end up emailing you lots of questions about products to use those questions could just be posted there.

I guess I could just keep posting those questions in the main thread if you like.

thoughts?
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

noncommittaldave wrote:Deactivated my account and requested that they retire me. There is absolutely nothing there that i can't get here and the useful content is approaching 0. I guess what i'm saying is traffic will be up here... :lol:

Thank you to all the people here that aren't douche bags. :lol:

Is this your slow slide out of the hobby? If so I call dibs on BSD since I missed out on Jackbot. :o :shock: :lol:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
noncommittaldave

I wasted a lot of my life posting on that site. It was more of an addiction based thing after a while.
noncommittaldave

ChrisS wrote:
noncommittaldave wrote:
Is this your slow slide out of the hobby? If so I call dibs on BSD since I missed out on Jackbot. :o :shock: :lol:

I am going to wait until summer comes to make that decision. I like playing pins with the windows/patio door open at night with all the lights off. I don't do winter pinball.

Beard Bro #2 is ahead of you in line for BSD. He asked about it at the first MRP and i told him he had dibs then. Gotta follow dibs. :lol:
Methos

Post by Methos »

noncommittaldave wrote:I wasted a lot of my life posting on that site. It was more of an addiction based thing after a while.
I don't know about posting, but I definitely have wasted too many hours reading that site. I doubt anyone on their deathbed looked up and said "I wished I would have spent more times on internet forums."

:D