Next Year League Questions/Discussion

Hilton

Re: Next Year League Questions/Discussion

Post by Hilton »

That is my doing.

Feel free to delete threads as you see fit to hit the reset button. I think we now have through August 2014 accounted for hosts. Tim E had taken Sept 2014 but the ony date he can host will likely conflict with the MRP 2014 event. I know Mark S had said he would do October again but I think Todd E also sadi he could do Oct?
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Hey Guys,

I will host next year, but I want a later time slot (May/June/July) to allow me to upgrade a couple of more games before then. Also Brodde would like to get into the league next year if there is a spot open.

Thanks

Garrett
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Maybe we should take up discussion again on the next year (2015) schedule, players, and etc... Worth mention that i THINK this 'season' should run through Dec 2014 (in other words this season would be 15 months long since we started in Oct 2013). That would allow us going forward to have a 12 month season for 2015 and also mirror up with IFPA SCS yearly thing.

I think there is a general consensus on the following rules for 2015?:
1. Limited to 20-21 players in league at max
2. Must have at least 4 solid playing games to host

Things that I think we should start to discuss?:
1. Is there interest to make any large scale changes in format?
2. How do we determine who gets 2015 membership and who does not? With a growing wait list I think we need to define a fair way for determining membership. This also raises the merits of attendance, preference to hosts, preference host sponsor of new member, and other similar topics.

For example, I think I was the first to say that my work buddy Gene would like to be in for 2015, but I do not think that is the best way to allow new membership. Just because I was first to ask is not really merit for him to get a spot... I assume we all have different ideas for the best way...

Maybe we should get a committed roll call list for 2015 with designation of "host" or "guest"/ and sponsored by)? and then go from there?
I know a few people mentioned they were out for 2015 due to family obligations, so maybe this is all a moot point if we loose a bunch of hosts?
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Hi Hilton,

I agree we should grab a roll call regarding next years league rosters, even if it is more than 6 months away since the summer will fly by. It seems like there is a fair amount of interest, perhaps we have enough players/hosts to support setting up "divisions" and mix things up that way? Seems a shame to exclude folks that are willing and able to come out and play regularly.

G#
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

BigDaddyBanjo wrote:Hi Hilton,

I agree we should grab a roll call regarding next years league rosters, even if it is more than 6 months away since the summer will fly by. It seems like there is a fair amount of interest, perhaps we have enough players/hosts to support setting up "divisions" and mix things up that way? Seems a shame to exclude folks that are willing and able to come out and play regularly.

G#

Agreed but also need to be conscious of host space limitations. 20 is about my max (maybe slightly more now that I have 2 game rooms?)

With that constraint I think we should get a roll call going and then determine what criteria we should use to fill the 20 league spots (assuming we have more than 20 that want in for 2015 season plus waitlisters).
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also worth note is that I asked some other league folks (Chicago) and they said that they have all gone through similar growing pains.

Sounds like their biggest issues have been people committing but then they stop showing up regularly mid way through the year. Maybe we need some sort of way to let people give up their spot mid way through or instate a rule of "miss 3 in a row and your spot will be offered to a waitlister?"

just thinking out loud. I guess my goal would be to have 20 regular people that make it each month (actually for me personally I really like when 16 show up becuase things run the smoothest with even numbers and league play does not take too long >> I like the pre and post game play more than actual league).
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Could we do something where the folks on the waitlist can be "on standby" and if regulars can't make a particular night we have them jump in and "sub" for that evening? Not playing/scoring as the other person, but just taking that slot for that evening. I don't know if that works with the IFPA and whatnot, but thought I would throw it out as an idea. I agree it is most fun when we get everyone (or nearly everyone) there.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am not a fan of alternates for an evening. To me the whole idea with a league is to compete on a regular basis against the same core group of people.

I like seeing how I stack up over time and month to month against everyone else. A random alternate stepping in defeats that and is really not a league persay, but then just a core group of people that meet up once a month with the revolving door of alternates.

One of the things I look forward to is trying to move up the month to month composite standings so a random coming in every other month would toss a wrench in that and add some randomness.