Next Year League Questions/Discussion

ralphwiggum

Re: Next Year League Questions/Discussion

Post by ralphwiggum »

I wish it was as easy as changing diet, that would be awesome. My oldest had colic (sp?) until he was two. Every medical miracle under the sun wouldn't work. No matter what we did, he would stay down at most, 2-3 hours. What worked one night, wouldn't work the next, just really difficult in general.

In my situation, Christine only works on the weekends so she can stay home during the week with the boys. She is up at 5am and back home at 6pm (most weekend nights). Getting sleep those two weekend nights is critical as I am the one that doesn't get up with the kid(s) the rest of the week because of my work schedule.

Now that both boys are sleepers, doing a Saturday night league isn't too big of a deal, but even once in awhile they still get up in the middle of the night and she has to get up to take care of it if I am not home. This isn't that big of a deal because she can catch up during the day during the week if she chooses to, but with a baby, that ability disappears.

Our In-laws have used the book you mentioned, and really like it. they have three boys and it worked with two of them. The third one had colic as well.... they stopped the thought of having more children after not sleeping through the nights with him... LOL
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

just the thought of it is enough to keep me from wanting kids...

I am stoked to be an uncle, but can not imagine being a dad. More power to all you crazies that have taken that on, esp more than once.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

There is not one single logical reason why they are the greatest thing I have ever had in my life, it is actually kind of hard to explain. It is cool that you recognize that you don't want them, that is a hard thing for a lot of people to do. Most people think that they are supposed to have kids, like it is a requirement of life. More power to you for knowing who you are.

There are definitely challenging times (and a bunch more to come, no doubt), but they don't even hold a candle to the good times (and there a ton of those). i will say that the early years are a lot more challenging for the dads then the later years (I am not even in the later years yet). In the first year, there is a whole lot of input without any output. It just gets old. But then they crack one of those "I just shit my diaper" smiles, and it all makes it worthwhile.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Methos

Post by Methos »

MikeS wrote:Currently we have Theran on a breast milk only diet but as he gets older and Vanessa goes back to work we may transition in some formula to make things easier on her. I'd be interested in more info on the super hippy formula.-although I heard one of the side effects is a desire to drive a Subaru and play disc golf :lol:
There is nothing wrong with driving a Subaru and we are not hippies. ;)

Agree with what has been said already - that we cap at 21 max - and give priority to those on the waiting list that can host for logical reasons. I also feel that if we have members with a low percetage of participation, it does not make sense to hold their spot if they can only make 40% or less of league nights.

Pity that we might lose Dave and Tim - two of the best players in the state - but understandable with family commitments as they are first and foremost.
tullster

Post by tullster »

I hate to say this, but It's not looking like I'll be able to participate much either. I've got to work every other Saturday, and looking at the upcoming schedule, most of the League nights happen to fall on nights that I have to work!

I am on call though, and it is possible I can stop in and participate, but it all depends on how busy I might be. So I guess you can call me... Possibly Tully?!!

We're more than happy to host again!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I know my participation has been weak thus far and I apologize.
It's definitely tough when you have a 2-year old and a 4-month old and no family within 600 miles of Wisconsin to help out but that's also no excuse. And I'm really sorry I missed Chris' party in Lake Geneva on Saturday. Both boys and my wife got sick so I had pneumonia all last week. This winter has been a bitch.

I have given my wife the list of league dates and she's all for me participating so long as things are "stable" at home with the kids.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make the Feb.22 night due to another commitment but I should be able to make the rest of the dates scheduled.
If I'm burdening the league I will give up my spot for someone on the wait list.
Just so long as it's not centerflank. My shoulder still hurts from arm wrestling him at Hilton's ;)
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Family first and foremost...Having kids and non-traditional work hours are two reasons why this is tough to do. I don't think anyone is upset that your participation is on the low side, I think it is moreso being stated in case we have a wait list for next year and we try to evaluate what we need to do to process that list. Like I mentioned before, My 3rd child is coming in August, there is a very good chance that I will not be able to do league for a couple of years based on my wife's work schedule.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

yeah my only issue with you guys missing league nights is that i like hanging out with you!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Awwwww! That's so sweet!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I wish my attendance was better this year. MSN league came about after MKE, I thought that would be the only league in the area. Next year I'll be doing only MSN for the sake of my sanity. I joke about at least 2 weekends/month being dedicated to pinball... but realistically, with all of the other things going on, it's more like 3 (scs this month, wauna next, mgc in april, etc etc).

I love it, and I do my best to schedule around league. I hope to do better moving forward, and I think it will help to limit myself to MSN. I figure there are monthly tournaments in MKE if I really want to get out and play!

My buddy Brian is interested in joining for next year, I think many of you have met him (tall skinny guy, my partner for expo brawl and mad rollin'). He almost certainly won't have enough machines to host. I'm certainly not lobbying him to take anyone's spot, I'd love to have all the guys back for next year.. we may have to come up with some sort of a MadCity Daycare for league events...
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Brain is a great dude!

Dave >> keep in mind that there is a very good chance there will be a location and monthly event in Madison starting in a few months 8-)

So that will be a potential option to get your fix if you need something localish
Methos

Post by Methos »

Do we want to have have one person be the individual who is responsible for arranging and keeping the hosting schedule? Kind of like committee chair - someone who works out the schedule of hosting with those members who can host. Right now, we see to be just waiting for the schedule/host location to just happen and it seems a bit chaotic. Just an idea I thought I would throw out there....
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Methos wrote:Do we want to have have one person be the individual who is responsible for arranging and keeping the hosting schedule? Kind of like committee chair - someone who works out the schedule of hosting with those members who can host. Right now, we see to be just waiting for the schedule/host location to just happen and it seems a bit chaotic. Just an idea I thought I would throw out there....

I think keeping the discussion open rather than appointing a person is probably a little more league friendly. Getting through the first year and seeing the challenges is the biggest thing. I think as more people become comfortable with the format of this site, and checking it, the easier it gets.
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

That is fine. It was just an idea to give more structure to the host nights and make sure that everyone who can host has an opportunity.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Methos wrote:That is fine. It was just an idea to give more structure to the host nights and make sure that everyone who can host has an opportunity.

I think the issue initially is that we have like three different threads discussing the same thing. If we combined all those into one clear thread, I think it will (would have) gone a lot smoother).....
Current Collection