Closed

Hilton

Closed

Post by Hilton »

Closed > this was discussion about 'last chance" but no longer applicable
Last edited by Hilton on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hilton

Re: Potential "Last Chance" 2013 event

Post by Hilton »

any thoughts on this guys?
tullster

Post by tullster »

I'm fine with it, and it sounds interesting, but I live close. I'm wondering how the far away guys feel, and think a problem is where they'll go while waiting. I know I can find places in Madison to kill time, but others might not, and the places I'd go, might seem nuts to some :?

Maybe just do an afternoon Tourney at Up North or Rossi's?

To be honest, the points don't matter to me. Even if I make the top 16, I'm committed to help Jon at the State Tourney and won't compete.

Just my humble opinion... Tully
noncommittaldave

Post by noncommittaldave »

Hilton wrote:any thoughts on this guys?
i only compete as an aside to a gathering, so going to play the game alone in order to qualify for the tourney does not interest me. just my two cents.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

tullster wrote:I'm fine with it, and it sounds interesting, but I live close. I'm wondering how the far away guys feel, and think a problem is where they'll go while waiting. I know I can find places in Madison to kill time, but others might not, and the places I'd go, might seem nuts to some :?

I figured they would just go to a bar to watch sports? or maybe head down to a bar that has other pinball to play while hanging out?

The problem with on location events is that a main IFPA event (worth a base of 25 points) has to be held on a weekend and most locations can not accomodate 40plus guys showing up on a weekend or don't want a bunch of oddball pinnerds hanging out.

The weekday local events are periodic so they are worth less points but also work on location because only a handful of people seem to show up. Thus we are not a big interruption to the normal business activities. Heck I asked Rossi's about hosting an event and they were ONLY interested in us being there on a weekday.
Last edited by Hilton on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Methos

Post by Methos »

I think it's a great idea for some of us Madison folks who are on the bubble.....Ian and I are in.
PaulyB18

Post by PaulyB18 »

I like the idea of a last chance tourney but having it the same day of the league for players that might be participating in the MKE league might not be the best option. It seems like it is a difficult choice for players that are in both leagues to choose which event to attend and I think this would only add to that. If we can find a way to accommodate that, or find another date (for both) I think it would be best and more successful from a turn out perspective.

For me - I would enjoy to play in another tourney, but that is just to play, have fun, and hang out with you guys...
I would love a chance to play at Tom T's but really... I just enjoy hanging out and playing terribly. :oops:

My opinion might not matter cause I am in Iowa, however, born and raised in WI so be nice! :D
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Good point about the MKE league Pauly. My impression is that while they have a date of Dec 28th they actually do not have a host for the date yet so it may not even happen.

I would also think that the MKE league would be later in the evening, so having a last chance tourney where you qualify during the day and IF you make a playoff round it would likely be done by 430 would still work for MKE league?????? They could be back in MKE area by 6pm at latest?

Another date would be optimal for logistics of having league on a separate day, but unfortunately my only opportunity for something at my house is DEC 28th. Last weekend of the year also works with the whole "last" chance idea.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:Good point about the MKE league Pauly. My impression is that while they have a date of Dec 28th they actually do not have a host for the date yet so it may not even happen.

I would also think that the MKE league would be later in the evening, so having a last chance tourney where you qualify during the day and IF you make a playoff round it would likely be done by 430 would still work for MKE league?????? They could be back in MKE area by 6pm at latest?

Another date would be optimal for logistics of having league on a separate day, but unfortunately my only opportunity for something at my house is DEC 28th. Last weekend of the year also works with the whole "last" chance idea.

All the Milwaukee stuff is concrete regardless of the host info. One of us will always step up if a host isn't announced months in advance. That is actually one of the reasons we did a concrete schedule in advance, was to allow people to plan for the entire year.

As far as the last chance event goes, I am not a participant in IFPA stuff (I don't have the attention span for a day of pinball), but looking at it like I was going to be a competitor, it would seem a little strange to go to someone's house, leave, and then comeback.

Also, would you be a competitor in this tourney (not you as in you-Hilton, but you as in, you the host of a tournament)? As a participant, I wouldn't want to play against someone who owns the games that they are competing on. While it did me no favors this past week, I certainly know the nuisances of my own games compared to someone elses.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Good to hear MKE has enough hosts to always make it happen! I got the impression that people were already on to 2nd hostings. NO worries and really none of my bizznaz.

Main point being that a last chance event from 8am to 4pm shouls still alow them the ability to make it back for MKE league. At least that was my thought.

I would likely be competing in this 'last chance' event if it happens. It is pretty typical that the people playing in events are commonly the ones also supplying the games. Tully does not play in wannabowl, but All except 1 person that supplied games for MRP2013 played in that event and all but 1 that supplied games for CC2012 (me; just because it was too hectic to play and run) played in it. Same goes for quite a few of the Chicago based events from what I have been told.

There is likely some advantage but in my case it is typically very minimal it seems. That said, if I can't play in something I host then that is 1 event that I will not host/run. First and foremost I like to play and hang with everyone. Secondarily, I like to promote pinball playing (and even the competitive aspect of it) so I have taken on what is sometimes a huge headache and costs me lots of $$$ to put together MRP the past 2 years. I pretty firmly believe that anyone host/running an event should be completely fine with playing in it. Whatever advantage they gain from knowing the games is deserved for their effort and liekly directly offset by them not having the luxury of just showing up to play pinball and dedicate all mental power towards the competition aspect.

Good point that the format (which mimics clock chaos) is somewhat strange in this settinsince there is nothing else for people to do while they are waiting to see if they come back for playoffs (at MGC they can go play video games I guess? or occupy themselves in the main event).
What do people think about just NOT doing a playoff? People would just show up at their assigned time, play through the games, and leave. I do not have the space to have 40 guys just hanging around and playing pinball all day so a pump and dump format wont work for this.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Heads up that this event is likely a GO. I am talking with Josh at IFPA about some final details. After he gives me the thumbs up then I will start advertising (and ask for your help in getting the word out).

Any friends that are interested in playing a qualifying slot early and then hanging out for the remainder of the day are welcome to do so. I could use a hand or 2 with score keeping. I will keep a beverage in your hand at all times and feed you lunch if you want to help out.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also date will be Dec 28th, same day as MSN league (assuming it is still at my place).