Lock the League?

ralphwiggum

Lock the League?

Post by ralphwiggum »

Looks like we are close to our self imposed cap of 20 guys for the year (we may have an actual floating number somewhere between 19-22), I vote we look to lock the league for the year. this will keep us around the 16 participant per month count (based on average attendance) which works great for four 4 player games.....

Thoughts?
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Re: Lock the League?

Post by Hilton »

what do you mean by a floating number of 19-22?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also, who are all of the extra members?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Floating are guys that said they wanted to participate early on, but I haven't heard from them in awhile. New additions recently are two ryans, Sean's brother, and I think one more (have to check my numbers)
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
PaulyB18

Post by PaulyB18 »

I am OK with this. Thanks again for arranging all of this.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I would like to request all players provide info and somehow be vetted before showing up for a league night. I am sure everyone is a great guy, but I am now a little hesitant to invite completely new to the hobby strangers into my house and give them my info, address, and game list. Sorry, but that is the world we live in and unfortunately there is always the one off chance that someone has some intentions other than just joining a pinball league...

I am not sure what is the best way to promote more people joining but also deal with the obvious constraint of too many can create an issue for hosts. At the same time, what is the best way to promote the actual league fun factor. Things are personally alot less fun for me if the final standing/competition is more dependent on who shows up all 12 months (i.e. a floating #) rather than the actual month to month play.

16, 20, and now maybe a floating 22 makes this seem more like just a monthly get together (which is fine if that is your goal Tim) rather than an actual league.

Basically, I like clarity because it helps me to better set my own expectations. It is a fault I have.
Ken

Post by Ken »

God not another Hilton fault. ;)

I say lock it down. Who's in is who's in. If people are interested in joining up next season they can come along as a guest and we can get to know them.

Thanks for all the work you put into the league Tim! And thaks for hosting this week!
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I think "floating" may be misinterpeted here.....

I am not adding or subtracting players based on passing interests, I mean floating because a few people (2-4, I have to look at my emails) had expressed joining the league when we first discussed it. These are long time collectors, but not known competitors for various reasons (like myself). These guys are about as solid as they come as collectors, and more-so as people. IF these guys are in the league the number of active confirmed participants is 18 minus the three new requests to join (two Ryans and a Paul).

Based on communications (or lack thereof), I feel comfortable saying that 2 of these 4 guys will not be participating in the league regardless of their initial interest. If all three of the new guys (the ones that have contacted me since the first league night) are regular participants, that puts us at an active 19 guys in the league.

That being said, even with an active roster of 19 or (even possibly 21 if all 4 actually committed), the most that will likely ever turnout is 16 or 17. That would have to be a pretty rare occurence to go over that.

As far as hosting goes, a host should plan to host 16 participants and then make the decision ahead of time to allow friends to come hangout and play or not (their playing wouldn't interfere with league at all). If you don't feel like you have the room to host for 16, don't host, no one will be upset.

As far as strangers go, I am going to be honest, I have no idea who most people really are in league. I talk to all of you weirdos online :shock: , but have only been to a handful of your houses (even that doesn't make you that much less of a stranger). I have two young sons, and a wife, and if I ever for one second thought that a new pinball person was going to be an issue, I would make it VERY clear to that person, VERY quickly just how important those people are in my life. If there were any doubt that they thought they could impose some sort of ill-will to myself or my property, it would be short lived.
Current Collection
Ken

Post by Ken »

ralphwiggum wrote: If there were any doubt that they thought they could impose some sort of ill-will to myself or my property, it would be short lived.
And you would have plenty of back up! Our kindness should not be mistaken for weakness. :twisted:
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

makes more sense...

I can host 16 so I am good on that front.

Pretty sure nobody would ever screw with you Tim. I was more concerned about someone unknown to everyone signing up for league and then turning out to be a thief that is just casing the house (not that I have anything worth stealing).

I know it is not likely, but league with people that are known in the hobby is different for me then a completely new person that people have not even met in real life (my understanding is that a few of the new guys are completely new to everyone). I am just asking for a little vetting before we provide people access to the league member only section with potentially sensitive information and also give them an open invite into each of our homes. You may not be concerned, but I have been robbed before (previous house not in Madison) and I do not want it to happen again.

I would rather be safe than sorry. (I mean no offense to the new folks)
tullster

Post by tullster »

I'm in agreement with all of this. Folks have had plenty of time to find out about the league and to decide if they want to join. Not to be a snob, but I'd like to think anyone who joins the league in the future needs to have games and be able to host...Or at least highly recommended by a current member.

When is the official League Start/stop month going to be? November?

I'm not alone in thinking that anyone who comes to a League night should be respectful of the hosts place. I'm comfortable with all the current members (except I'm still not sure about that Ken guy!! ;) ) And have known some of you for a while thanks to the MGC & Tourneys.

I feel bad I missed Mark's night and will miss Tim's, but If I'm able to attend over half of the meetings, and you guys don't mind, I'm good with that!

Tully
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I am going to go ahead and lock this one for the season. That doesn't mean guys can't bring friends (per hosts discretion), so this league is all set!

See a lot of you guys on Saturday!
Current Collection
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

Tim,

can you post a list of "who is in" for this year. i know i want to be in, but unfortunately i could not make it to Mark's and i will not be able to make it down by you. i hope to be free for hilton's though and would like to host some night (although i don't know if anyone wants to drive up by the dells to come visit).

**EDIT** found it in the appropriate spot (members only area)

thanks

Christopher
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Methos

Post by Methos »

I'm for locking it as well.

I know most of the active members, but not all. Maybe a safe vetting process for new members would be where at least one active member in good standing and known by the group vouches for the new request. That way new members would be stangers, but no complete unknowns. Many service orginizations and clubs have this same process. Hell - even when I joined Rotary I had to find someone to be my sponsor.

Just a thought.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Well, we officially have 21 confirmed members (one over our goal). Of these 21, I think 12-13 will be able to host, so I really think we are in good shape all around.
Current Collection