Pooley's Monthly Tourney Format Discussion

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Pooley's Monthly Tourney Format Discussion

Post by Hilton »

Here is the general idea that I am thinking for Pooley's Monthly.
I am guessing we will have around 16 players each month but want to be able to come up with a format that is accomodating to more or less people easily.

Each night:
Play in random 4 packs (so you meet new people and can learn form watching others) 1 time through all 4 games. This will likely take 60-90 minutes. All scores are recorded in the Scott D tourney software and ranked from top to bottom on each game. Combined ranking points on all 4 games used to seed players for playoff.

Playoffs on 1 game to be choosen by top player in each 4 pack with order choosen by second highest in each 4 pack. Four packs are based on direct order of qualiftying position >>> 1-4 play together, 5-8 play together, 9-12 play together, 13-16 play together, etc...

First playoff game is all 4 peolpe in the 4-pack with top 2 continuing on. Second game is top 2 playing off for final position. This means you are only ableto reshuffle final placement based on the qualifying 4 pack you are in.

For example if you are 3rd place in qualifying you will playoff in the 1-4 4-pack and you can finsh in 1st to 4th place.

I think this is a format that should allow all to play all the games, spend the majority of the time playing rather than waiting, rewards consistent play, and requires effort to be placed on qualifying as well as playoffs. This also provides the opportunity for similar skill based competition during playoffs. I have noticed that even casual players seem to enjoy some competition when it is against similar skill level players. This means you can come and qualify in last but still get the opportunity to have some good natured competition against similar skill level players during playoffs.

Each month will have a winner that gets some sort of monthly prize (free pitcher, meal, pinball swag). All players will recieve IFPA points.

Each calander year we will use accumulate IFPA points from Pooleys events to build towards the year end champion. I am working to come up with some cool and bigger end of year prizes. I am also working with Pooleys to possibly buy a bigger trophy that stays on site and each year the grand champion will have their name added to the big trophy. Basically I want to try and build the community on the local level while also providing incentive to come each month and participate.
Hilton

Re: Pooley's Monthly Tourney Format Discussion

Post by Hilton »

please tell me your suggestions feedback on this. We have a little over a week to decide and make tweaks before the first event.
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

For the most part i like it, but i do think that the monthly winner (of the prize, not the tournament) should be a random name drawn instead of the winner of the event. the winner of the event will be one of the same 4 guys most every time.

just my suggestion.

Kingpin
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

good suggestion. Maybe I can get 2 prizes for each month. 1 random draw and 1 for the winner.

In looking at results from the MKE monthlys events it does seem like a select pool typically win?

Maybe each month the prize will be randomly assigned to a playoff 4 pack? That could be a fun way to mix it up???
Ran

Post by Ran »

Something tells me Mike S needs to build a bigger shelf for pinball prizes and trophies ;)
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sounds like a fun format. No need for it to be set in stone either. Can try as many different formats as you want!
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Hilton wrote:In looking at results from the MKE monthlys events it does seem like a select pool typically win?
Typically, yes. It's been a pattern, up until the last couple of months.

Tip: keep the rules as simple as possible. People go to bars to forget things, not remember things.

Tip: You may might want to restrict the giveaway prize to players who haven't won a tournament / aren't in top 4 for the month.

For the Pinball 101 DVDs I've been giving away, I plan to institute that this month. It's been the luck of the draw, but consistently top players have been getting the DVDs the last few months, which is counterproductive to the goal of giving away a skill-improvement DVD.
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Ken wrote:Sounds like a fun format. No need for it to be set in stone either. Can try as many different formats as you want!
Agree with Ken on this. We're probably going to change Uptowner's format this month.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

We are alive!

Ready for action.

If I could figure out how to post a picture on this site, I would :)
Ken

Post by Ken »

WHY!?!?! Why do I have to work?! I should be playing pinball!
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Here's the lineup at Pooley's!
Attachments
Initial game lineup at Pooley's
Initial game lineup at Pooley's
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

That's a great site to see! Madison was in dire need of a great pinball spot. Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

p.s. I like your idea for Format as well. We could always change or adjust it if needed down the line.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
pinball4ever

Post by pinball4ever »

Looks great, can't wait to check it out tonight! That pic is my new wallpaper at work.

I've been telling everyone I can about Pooleys and the "new" machines that are coming in, and only a few people have looked at me like I'm totally crazy. :lol:

Todd
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well??? How did it go?