Source for a Sega Launch Ball button

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Chris K

Source for a Sega Launch Ball button

Post by Chris K »

Anyone know where I can source this part?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinbal ... 00-5973-00

It's the Launch Ball button for a Sega Baywatch. It appears this version isn't used on any other Sega games, and I don't see anyone with stock.

Mine is melted/broken inside, making the button foul if you aren't careful. Some hot glue helped, but I know it won't last forever!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Hilton

Re: Source for a Sega Launch Ball button

Post by Hilton »

RFM is the closest comparable.

Red instead of white inards and depending what is salvageable from yours, you can likely make that work.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I wasn't sure which other buttons would fit in........ Baywatch's hole. :oops:

My white button is OK, it's the front part of the assembly that appears to have been melted and then cracked, so it allows the whole white button part of the assembly to move around freely, defeating the spring. I'm certain that at some point someone is going to jam the Launch button and pop my hot glue off. An embarrassing way for a table to go down. :)

Thanks, Hilton! I'll grab the RFM style button.
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Marco lists that button as 2x2.25. happ Suzo carries a similar button at 2, and can print custom insert if needed (or you could make one with a vinyl cutter).....
This is the Happ-Suzo one-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pushbutton-Lar ... 4565403901
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Hm, the right color and printable helps a bit. I might have to file off those nubs, but that should look really close to stock when I'm done. Hopefully the 1/4" smaller height isn't visible.

Thanks!
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:42 am Hm, the right color and printable helps a bit. I might have to file off those nubs, but that should look really close to stock when I'm done. Hopefully the 1/4" smaller height isn't visible.

Thanks!
It could also be the bezel is a different width and the button is the same width. The Baywatch button appears a little beefier with the Bezel than the Happ one I linked. Happ has an entire catalog you can browse to see if there is a closer match-
https://na.suzohapp.com/products/pushbuttons/
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Thanks, I checked out the catalog. The "large white illuminated" seems to be the best choice. If the bezel is too small I'll figure out something with a black plate between the button and cabinet to make it look not junky.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Being that it is 2x2.25 on the original and looking at the pics of the original, it looks like the quarter inch is on the bottom of the button. Being that you will have some wiggle room to move the button around, I think at worst, you would be looking at about 1/8". If you need the lettering reproduced, let me know, and I can cut some vinyl for you to throw in there, I would just need a decent straight on shot of the original text and some measurements for reference.
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Thanks! I'm hoping I can find a pretty close font and put either a photo print or waterslide decal in there. I don't want to do anything until I have the new button in hand and make sure it fits and such. I'm a lazy guy at heart. :)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Sooooo..... did you ever get the launch button replaced?
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I've got the new button, and it looks like it'll be a perfect fit, but while I was waiting for delivery I couldn't be with Hof, so I hot glued the shit out of the old one, and it has held up so far!

I wanted to be sure Hof would be ready for league, which I was figuring would be in May, after my R&M showed up..... yeeeeeah... :)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:19 am I wanted to be sure Hof would be ready for league, which I was figuring would be in May, after my R&M showed up..... yeeeeeah... :)
Man, it is crazy what a difference one month makes.

Good to hear the replacement button is a fit. It is good that there is an option out there for a part that currently seems to be NLA.
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Yeah, eyeballing it, it should fit great. I'll update this thread if it doesn't (and when I put it in). I should just get off my butt and replace it now, but I have a prioritization model for my free time right now, and beer is currently above non-essential maintenance. :)