How did you all get started?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Eric_S

Re: How did you all get started?

Post by Eric_S »

I should chime in that the price is $600. I have fat fingers and screwed up the title. Anyway, still cheap for a mostly working game. I thought about buying it as my 3rd Gorgar...
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hmmm...it's in Neenah, so I would have to figure out how to get it here. It's got demons and human sacrifice, not quite kid-friendly :lol:
Also, from what I've read, it's simplified play, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but also, I'm not sure if it'll hold my interest long. But it would have it's value in that it's something that I could learn on, and the price is really within range. I was kind of looking for something ready to play, without much work, and something that I could tinker with when needed, but also that the wife and kids could play too, but have some depth for me as well.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I never played more pinball than when I owned only flash. That one is simple too, but I kept stabbing at the start button.

That's a pretty good deal on a classic. That's my favorite era machine to work on, personally. I've owned a forest before and liked it. I did end up selling it, I didn't like the gameplay quite as much as Flash, but the art and colors made it tough to sell.

I saw Eric's post and I'd definitely grab it if I had the room or patience to move it.

The good thing about that title at that price is that you're getting a good well known machine to get your feet wet, and it's pretty unlikely you'd lose much if you went to sell it.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

you may be able to work out a deal with Eric where he fix up the display/board issues.

Then you could deal with shopping it out and the general mechanical stuff which you will need to learn anyway.

Eric is a whiz when it comes to fixing board stuff so if he agreed to bulletproof it then the rest is all within your reach Quy.
Always remember there is a community here to help as you ask questions. A healthy interest in learning is all that is required from what I have found.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

So much to think about! :)

I decided to not consider the DE Simpsons, didn't even look at it, based off of what Hilton said. I don't want to bring home a machine with unknowns lurking beneath. I've dealt with too many "previous owner" things that I'd rather not sink money into knowing where the PO had questionable methods. I am going to take Hilton's advice though, at go the the MGC, play, and possibly buy. If one of you are going to be there, would it be too much to ask for transportation of a machine if we happen to get one? I know it's a few months down the road, but it would really help with not having to rent a uHaul or anything. Just throwing that out there.

The basement floor will be finished soon. The wife is on board with getting one. Have to clear up room in our "office." Is this really happening? lol
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hilton wrote:you may be able to work out a deal with Eric where he fix up the display/board issues.

Then you could deal with shopping it out and the general mechanical stuff which you will need to learn anyway.

Eric is a whiz when it comes to fixing board stuff so if he agreed to bulletproof it then the rest is all within your reach Quy.
Always remember there is a community here to help as you ask questions. A healthy interest in learning is all that is required from what I have found.
I do like this idea, except I don't know if it's a machine that I'd want to have, but I think I'll reach out to Eric just to see how plausible it is.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Many of us take games over to MGC to share for the show, so often have our vehicles full on the way there and back.

In other words, I am sure we would all be happy to help transport but may already be full (or hopeful of buying another game ourselves) :)

What do you drive? A pin will fit in more cars then you think. Heck, MikeS and Mark regularly puts them in a Honda Fit. It is amazing but fits jut fine.

I drive a Forrester and before that put them in my impreza with the head off.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

There is a lot of williams knowledge in this group. Plus grog ar has a lot more staying power than my first game, hot tip. Learn the rules and play the crap out of it. When I get a game to shop I start with the power supply, then I disconnect the boards and clean it up, wax rering and perform any cabinet repairs and touch ups. Lastly I battle the boards or non booting issues.
With a working power supply you can verify GI bulbs work before putting the plastics back on. Working on a toug board issue can be frustrating, so having everything else done helps keep me working on it.
Ed
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hilton wrote:Many of us take games over to MGC to share for the show, so often have our vehicles full on the way there and back.

In other words, I am sure we would all be happy to help transport but may already be full (or hopeful of buying another game ourselves) :)

What do you drive? A pin will fit in more cars then you think. Heck, MikeS and Mark regularly puts them in a Honda Fit. It is amazing but fits jut fine.

I drive a Forrester and before that put them in my impreza with the head off.
We would bring a BMW Wagon (with the kids' seats out) and seats folded down. I'll take some measurements and stuff. Yeah, I figure most of you are transporting games already anyway :)
Last edited by QuyN on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Fortytwo wrote:There is a lot of williams knowledge in this group. Plus grog ar has a lot more staying power than my first game, hot tip. Learn the rules and play the crap out of it. When I get a game to shop I start with the power supply, then I disconnect the boards and clean it up, wax rering and perform any cabinet repairs and touch ups. Lastly I battle the boards or non booting issues.
With a working power supply you can verify GI bulbs work before putting the plastics back on. Working on a toug board issue can be frustrating, so having everything else done helps keep me working on it.
Ed
Thanks Ed. I sent Eric a PM about it. Though it's not my first choice, I think it's a good opportunity to get some experience under the belt. I will definitely tap into the knowledge here if i can. Otherwise, at least I know Hilton and I will track him down and throw beers at him until he helps :lol:
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hilton wrote:looks like it will fit?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?t ... chines#BMW
Now that is something haha. It's a 2011 328i, so will be smaller than an e34 5 series, and it's not the SUVs like the other 2 listed. There's a Pontiac Vibe in the family that I may be able to borrow, or a Prius V too, but they're really stingy with their things...
Flipperless

Post by Flipperless »

I know this is an old thread, but I found it to be cool to hear your stories and it was helpful to hear a bit about MGC as we look forward to going our first year this year.

My story is short although it started about 20 years ago when I got hooked playing Demolition Man in Pocket Change in Fox River Mall. Immediately sought it out and found one through word of mouth from someone near Milwaukee (maybe you are in here?). My salary was meager at the time but I paid $1200, loaded it in my S-10, and played hundreds of games. It sat for 10-15 years until last November when we turned it on after moving it. Thankfully the battery corrosion wasn't too bad and everything worked but the elevator and a flipper button. The misses didn't care for it much originally, but now she plays a few games a night and we'll be picking up a Cactus Canyon soon. She wants the Beatles after playing it, and my list is growing. I feel like I missed out on the golden age of pinball, and now it is time to make up for lost time with no end in sight...
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Wow, what a jump in time for this thread. I've become friends with several people that responded here and yes, I own games now! Lol.

I never would have thought pinball would become a such a big part of my life and I feel like I'm a better person for it.

POCKET CHANGE!!!! I grew up in the Appleton area from the late 80s to the early 2000s and I spent so much time as a kid there. When we had family mall trips, I would get some cash and I would stay there the entire time while the rest of my family roamed the mall. Some hours later, they would come pick me up lol. Those were the times.

I never remembered any pinball, primarily because I was always so enamored with the arcade cabinets, so unfortunately, I missed out at that time. But I feel like I'm making up for it now.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Dupe.